One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first chamber of the heart in fish, amphibians, and reptiles, emptying into the right atrium.
- ‘All the blood from the cardinal veins now drains into the right horn of the sinus venosus.’
- ‘Diagnostic images of the sinus venosus atrial septal defect usually are not obtainable in most adults.’
- ‘Sino-septal defects refer to those that involve the area of the atrial septum derived from the sinus venosus.’
- ‘The two entities always go together and it is the de-roofing of the sinus venosus by the anomalous drainage of the right superior pulmonary vein that leads to the sinus venosus ASD.’
- ‘Communication between the sinus venosus and the primitive atrium, the sinoatrial oriface, is centrally located.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin, literally ‘venous cavity’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.