One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cavity in the ground, especially in limestone bedrock, caused by water erosion and providing a route for surface water to disappear underground.
hollow, indentation, dent, dint, cavity, concavity, dip, pit, hole, pothole, sink, excavation, trough, craterView synonyms
- ‘Karst is an area of irregular limestone in which erosion has produced fissures, sinkholes, underground streams, and caverns.’
- ‘This is the process by which rainwater erodes limestone cliffs and creates limestone caves and sinkholes.’
- ‘The trip passes by waterfalls, forests, canyons, valleys, sinkholes and caves.’
- ‘The wells at Chichén Itzá are actually large limestone sinkholes - known in Spanish as cenotes (underground pools) - and they are one of the singular aspects of the site.’
- ‘The enclosed depressions are complex forms of dolines or sinkholes, which act as centripetal drainage basins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.