One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cavity in the ground, especially in limestone bedrock, caused by water erosion and providing a route for surface water to disappear underground.
hollow, indentation, dent, dint, cavity, concavity, dip, pit, hole, pothole, sink, excavation, trough, craterView synonyms
- ‘The enclosed depressions are complex forms of dolines or sinkholes, which act as centripetal drainage basins.’
- ‘This is the process by which rainwater erodes limestone cliffs and creates limestone caves and sinkholes.’
- ‘The wells at Chichén Itzá are actually large limestone sinkholes - known in Spanish as cenotes (underground pools) - and they are one of the singular aspects of the site.’
- ‘Karst is an area of irregular limestone in which erosion has produced fissures, sinkholes, underground streams, and caverns.’
- ‘The trip passes by waterfalls, forests, canyons, valleys, sinkholes and caves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.