Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1British A sleeveless garment worn under or instead of a shirt.
- ‘Tommy is wearing a baseball cap, a singlet and combat shorts, revealing several tattoos.’
- ‘Others had on only singlets and cotton trousers as they jumped into the water.’
- ‘Winter has settled in, you're not wearing a singlet under your business shirt and you have your first sneeze… she thinks you caught pneumonia and you're going to die.’
- ‘Equally as beautiful as his womenswear, this featured plain white singlets studded with gold sequins, low-slung cream trousers and kimono print shirts.’
- ‘Alas, after a while, the sight of board shorts, singlets, jandals and sunglasses will make you wince.’
A single unresolvable line in a spectrum, not part of a multiplet.
- ‘To break supersymmetry using the F-term, one can add chiral multiplets that transform as singlets under the gauge symmetries in the theory.’
- ‘The singlet is detectable as a quintet at room temperature in methemoglobin with identical spectral features to those of the well characterized tyrosyl radical in photosystem II.’
- ‘Superimposing such a diffractive structure on an aspheric surface yields an achromatic singlet whose spherical and chromatic aberrations are corrected.’
- 2.1A state or energy level with zero spin, giving a single value for a particular quantum number.
- ‘Do aggregates of A2E have a higher singlet-oxygen quantum yield rather than monomers?’
- ‘Energy can be transferred from the singlet state to the triplet state via intersystem crossing.’
- ‘A small singlet-triplet energy gap is known to favor intersystem crossing.’
- ‘Its superconductivity is often assumed to be unconventional in that the Cooper pairs are not in a spin singlet state with s-wave symmetry, as with conventional superconductors.’
- ‘The reorganizational energy of the singlet ET was also calculated from the temperature-dependent data and found to be 0.89 eV.’
- 2.2Chemistry An atomic or molecular state in which all electron spins are paired.
- ‘The study of the excited states properties has shown that its photoreactivity in neutral aqueous medium is singlet initiated.’
- ‘However, reactive oxygen species generated by UVA radiation, particularly singlet oxygen, can also damage nucleic acids.’
- ‘The origin of the initial spike observed upon detection of singlet oxygen luminescence remains unresolved.’
- ‘And where does the singlet oxygen, the energy source, come from?’
- ‘It can thus be regarded as a simultaneous excitation of two triplets, whose coupling generates an overall singlet state.’
Mid 18th century (originally denoting a man's short jacket): from single (because the garment was unlined) + -et, on the pattern of doublet.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.