Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having or concentrating on only one aim or purpose.‘the single-minded pursuit of profit’
determined, full of determination, hell-bent, committed, unswerving, unwavering, undeviating, resolute, purposeful, set, fixed, devoted, dedicated, uncompromising, persevering, tireless, tenacious, persistent, pertinacious, indefatigableobsessive, fanatical, dogged, monomaniacalobstinate, stubborn, unyielding, intransigent, pig-headed, inflexible, obdurateView synonyms
- ‘It was a single-minded dedication taking every opportunity to win.’
- ‘He claims that he has never been so focused, single-minded and dedicated.’
- ‘They have a fixed purpose in life, and go for it with single-minded determination.’
- ‘Once a field of interest has been chosen, dedication and single-minded pursuit of excellence is boundless.’
- ‘His view is that without a single-minded purpose, Scotland will remain bogged down in stale arguments that will hold the country back.’
- ‘His selfishness and single-minded pursuit ‘to be someone’ has left casualties along the way.’
- ‘Julien approaches life and love like the video game hero, with determination and a single-minded pursuit.’
- ‘Miller's Batman is full of the fire of youth: single-minded, without becoming obsessive, exactly.’
- ‘I doubt, however, whether single-minded dedication is the best means of judging a successful leader.’
- ‘She is a woman who is single-minded, forceful and uncompromising.’
- ‘But if they are single-minded in pursuit of victory, Edinburgh will be crushed.’
- ‘He is one of the most single-minded and obsessive sportsmen in the world, utterly intent upon relentless success.’
- ‘Nor is he suffering solely from his single-minded pursuit of Social Security reform.’
- ‘Each side accused the other of stubborn, single-minded, almost childish behavior.’
- ‘With single-minded purpose, he hitch-hikes slowly down the African continent.’
- ‘I have always been determined and single-minded, but you can never get complacent in this industry.’
- ‘The single-minded pursuit of economic growth can exact a heavy toll on a community.’
- ‘How do you turn single-minded determination into team ethos?’
- ‘Those who know him say he is professional, single-minded, and extremely determined.’
- ‘Their single-minded determination makes me realise I'll never make a movie myself.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.