Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a reflex camera in which the lens that forms the image on the film also provides the image in the viewfinder.
- ‘Good camera equipment always has been expensive, but many fine single-lens reflex cameras with interchangeable lenses are available for less than $1, 000.’
- ‘But those who want to be more involved with dials and settings might opt for a 35 mm single-lens reflex camera that will accommodate a number of lenses.’
- ‘These days it's quite common to find 32-bit microprocessors, metal-oxide semiconductors, and redundant gold-plated electrical contacts on single-lens reflex cameras.’
- ‘The Canon Rebel is a single-lens reflex camera, the kind that utilizes interchangeable lenses.’
- ‘Models at 6 megapixels and above are limited to extremely expensive semi-pro and pro single-lens reflex cameras, which few but enthusiasts with fat wallets would look at.’
single-lens reflex/ˈˌsiNGɡə(l)ˌlenz ˈrēˌfleks/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.