One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A boat or other craft that can be sailed single-handed.
- ‘Offshore, the single-hander sails across the ocean.’
- ‘In the second division, a mixture of single-handers and craft of various sizes and configurations, racing to handicap, saw solo 14 Square sailor, Jan Holldorf, narrowly defeat the larger Nacra 5.5 with Stefan, Jamna De Vos.’
- ‘The championship comprised three fleets: the Nacra 16 Square, a single-hander, the Nacra 5.8 and an Open Class of single-handers, the Nacra 4.5 and the 14 Square, as well as the crewed 5.0, 5.5 and the mighty Nacra Inter 17.’
- ‘NACRA has a boat to suit everyone, ranging from a 14-ft. resort catamaran to a range of single-handers to a fleet of high performance racing machines, right up to the mighty NACRA 5.8 and 6.0.’
- ‘A large fleet of Lasers is anticipated and this highly-competitive single-hander will be very evident around the course.’
- 1.1 A person who sails a boat or yacht single-handed.
- ‘Rae is planning a six-month shakedown cruise, buddy boating with another single-hander, to New Zealand or the Solomon Islands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.