One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to a type of tournament in which teams or players are eliminated from the competition after a single defeat.‘the new single-elimination format leaves no room for an off night’‘an eight-team single-elimination event’‘the top two advance to the single-elimination semifinals’
- ‘Meanwhile, the single-elimination nature of it makes any team vulnerable.’
- ‘So the single-elimination style of the playoffs lends itself to big surprises and huge upsets.’
- ‘Single-elimination basketball season - aka March Madness - has arrived.’
- ‘All games from here on out are single-elimination.’
- ‘Single-elimination playoffs are about a team getting hot at the right time and having a little luck.’
- ‘There will be little practice time, and the medal round will be single elimination.’
- ‘The top four teams advance in each Group to form a single-elimination 16-team tournament.’
- ‘The tournament is now single elimination, which removes any margin for error.’
- ‘Some hearts are going to be broken, but that is the cruel reality that comes with a single-elimination bracket.’
- ‘But Serbia has been playing better throughout the single-elimination round.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.