Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a jacket or coat) showing only one row of buttons at the front when fastened.
- ‘The single-breasted jacket with notch lapels is the most popular and classic style.’
- ‘A single-breasted overcoat closes with a narrow overlap and fastens down in front with a single row of buttons.’
- ‘It combines fitted flat-front trousers with a three-button single-breasted jacket that features a notched collar, two front flap pockets, one chest welt pocket, and a vented rear center seam.’
- ‘Instead, opt for a nicely fitted single-breasted blazer, preferably one that can be buttoned all the way up.’
- ‘The knee length single-breasted coat in black & white check can be teamed with a pencil skirt for pure winter warmth.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.