One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a gun) needing to be cocked by hand before it can be fired.
- ‘There is a 12 lb. weight limit which will cover the majority of rifles and single-action pistols or revolvers.’
- ‘Just a couple of years later, Sturm, Ruger & Co. was making a splash with their new Blackhawk .44 Magnum single-action revolvers.’
- ‘To examine the bore, swing the cylinder open, or alternately (on single-action guns), remove the cylinder from the frame.’
- ‘He was thus enabled to coolly return fire with his single-action handguns even as lead rained through the spaces above.’
- ‘Of his many arms his favorites were always the various Colt Model 1873 single-action revolvers, usually in caliber .45.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.