One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who sings and writes popular songs, especially professionally.
- ‘If he keeps up the same momentum then he could well establish himself as one of the best singer-songwriters around.’
- ‘Often, singer-songwriters have to find a balance between gloomy introspection (for depth) and poppy melodies (for light relief).’
- ‘He's one of the great singer-songwriters of the past two decades.’
- ‘His back catalogue of songs confirms his reputation as one of the country's most accomplished singer-songwriters who can command huge audiences in his own right.’
- ‘It's a shame that so many independent singer-songwriters, who seem to grow on trees nowadays, are so often labeled as disposable folk/pop.’
- ‘One of the most talented singer-songwriters of recent years, it's no wonder everyone's talking about her and long-time fans will have nothing to complain about with this recording.’
- ‘All together, it makes for a solid little album from a singer-songwriter with a strong vision and voice.’
- ‘Ireland hasn't exactly been short of acoustic singer-songwriters, so it's useful to have something to help you stand out.’
- ‘Scratch the surface, and singer-songwriters can be a dull lot.’
- ‘At its heart, it's a singer-songwriter record, where the song and the voice are the focus.’
- ‘Some fabulously original singer-songwriters rose to sudden popular prominence… and were arrested, jailed, and sent into exile with shaven heads.’
- ‘Since that time, the singer-songwriter moved to LA to recruit a producer and musicians to record and play with.’
- ‘His work inspired generations of singer-songwriters.’
- ‘The result is a crafty blend of soulful hip-hop that positively reflect the singer-songwriter's life experiences.’
- ‘This album will give many established Canadian singer-songwriters a run.’
- ‘I like singer-songwriters, and I find sad songs comforting rather than depressing.’
- ‘A good singer-songwriter can draw on his experience to create songs that people can identify with.’
- ‘These singer-songwriters are the true artists of popular music.’
- ‘The Irish seem to be ahead of the game when it comes to turning singer-songwriters into superstars.’
- ‘And the music currently flooding the charts by new acoustic-backed singer-songwriters is doing nothing to alter my opinion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.