Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who sings and writes popular songs, especially professionally.
- ‘I like singer-songwriters, and I find sad songs comforting rather than depressing.’
- ‘At its heart, it's a singer-songwriter record, where the song and the voice are the focus.’
- ‘Scratch the surface, and singer-songwriters can be a dull lot.’
- ‘If he keeps up the same momentum then he could well establish himself as one of the best singer-songwriters around.’
- ‘His back catalogue of songs confirms his reputation as one of the country's most accomplished singer-songwriters who can command huge audiences in his own right.’
- ‘A good singer-songwriter can draw on his experience to create songs that people can identify with.’
- ‘And the music currently flooding the charts by new acoustic-backed singer-songwriters is doing nothing to alter my opinion.’
- ‘One of the most talented singer-songwriters of recent years, it's no wonder everyone's talking about her and long-time fans will have nothing to complain about with this recording.’
- ‘Ireland hasn't exactly been short of acoustic singer-songwriters, so it's useful to have something to help you stand out.’
- ‘Often, singer-songwriters have to find a balance between gloomy introspection (for depth) and poppy melodies (for light relief).’
- ‘This album will give many established Canadian singer-songwriters a run.’
- ‘He's one of the great singer-songwriters of the past two decades.’
- ‘The result is a crafty blend of soulful hip-hop that positively reflect the singer-songwriter's life experiences.’
- ‘The Irish seem to be ahead of the game when it comes to turning singer-songwriters into superstars.’
- ‘Some fabulously original singer-songwriters rose to sudden popular prominence… and were arrested, jailed, and sent into exile with shaven heads.’
- ‘These singer-songwriters are the true artists of popular music.’
- ‘His work inspired generations of singer-songwriters.’
- ‘Since that time, the singer-songwriter moved to LA to recruit a producer and musicians to record and play with.’
- ‘All together, it makes for a solid little album from a singer-songwriter with a strong vision and voice.’
- ‘It's a shame that so many independent singer-songwriters, who seem to grow on trees nowadays, are so often labeled as disposable folk/pop.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.