One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A short or simple symphony.
- ‘Still, in loveliness, this utility sinfonietta is not surpassed by many.’
- ‘In the liner notes to the recording, Jacob likens his work to ‘a miniature symphony or sinfonietta,’ mainly because the movements show the bare bones of symphonic classical forms.’
- 1.1 A small symphony orchestra.
- ‘The National Youth Orchestra has chosen the prestigious festival as one of the events to unveil its newly-established sinfonietta.’
- ‘The sinfonietta is currently on a European tour which will also take it to Slovakia this month.’
Italian, diminutive of sinfonia (see sinfonia).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.