1A short or simple symphony.
- ‘Still, in loveliness, this utility sinfonietta is not surpassed by many.’
- ‘In the liner notes to the recording, Jacob likens his work to ‘a miniature symphony or sinfonietta,’ mainly because the movements show the bare bones of symphonic classical forms.’
- 1.1A small symphony orchestra.
- ‘The National Youth Orchestra has chosen the prestigious festival as one of the events to unveil its newly-established sinfonietta.’
- ‘The sinfonietta is currently on a European tour which will also take it to Slovakia this month.’
Italian, diminutive of sinfonia (see sinfonia).