One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘His hatred was strong for sinecurists and all other ‘tax-eaters’ who fed off the high taxation that impoverished the common people.’
- ‘Those who best serve their country too often pine and decay, whilst pensioned miscreants and lazy sinecurists roll in riches.’
- ‘He died a sinecurist and pensioner on the public purse.’
- ‘The connection with the past has been broken by the appointment of know-nothing placemen and sinecurists.’
- ‘Suppose the debt repudiated, the sinecurists cut off, the army disbanded, the officers and men of the navy discharged and the ships sold.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.