One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(with reference to business or proceedings that have been adjourned) with no appointed date for resumption.‘the case was adjourned sine die’
for an unspecified period, for an unspecified time, for an unlimited period, for an unlimited time, without a fixed limitView synonyms
- ‘In the event of vetoes or crises, the Senate President shall be empowered to suspend sine die adjournment for a period up to one week for purposes of reconvening the Senate.’
- ‘Parliament was adjourned sine die on a sombre note on Monday, four days ahead of the scheduled end of the monsoon session.’
- ‘The Texas Legislature adjourned sine die this afternoon, formally ending the 7th special session in two and a half years.’
- ‘Parliament is likely to be adjourned sine die Thursday, according to reliable sources.’
- ‘The Legislature of the State of New Jersey adjourned sine die at noon to-day.’
Latin, literally ‘without a day’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.