One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The front of the skull from the forehead to the crown.
- ‘Your sinciput, dear friends, is the part of your head from the forehead to the tippy top.’
- ‘On abdominal examination, more than half the fetal head is above the symphysis pubis and the occiput is palpable at a higher level than the sinciput.’
- ‘The bregma, forehead, nose, mouth, and chin are born in succession as the sinciput sweeps along the sacrum.’
- ‘When there is extension, the occiput is higher than the sinciput and the occiput is the cephalic prominence.’
- ‘In moderate deflexion, the occiput and sinciput meet the pelvic floor simultaneously, no internal rotation and the head persists in the oblique diameter.’
Late 16th century: from Latin, from semi- ‘half’ + caput ‘head’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.