Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the basic mechanical devices for applying a force, such as an inclined plane, wedge, or lever.
- ‘It also includes information about ferries, simple machines, whales, and computers among other scientific ideas.’
- ‘You build a simple machine which applies a gradually increasing force F to the centre of the beam while it is supported at its ends in a horizontal position.’
- ‘Bandwidth, coupled with compression technologies, will be the coin of the realm, and if Archimedes were alive today, he would immediately recognize it as the lever in his simple machine.’
- ‘The earliest treatise in mechanics, the Mechanical Problems ascribed to Aristotle, begins with problems having to do with a simple machine, the lever.’
- ‘The six simple machines are the primary machines that can be found in even the most complex machines.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.