The growing and cultivation of trees.
- ‘Current activities, such as navigation channel dredging, hydroelectric power production, agriculture, and silviculture, will not be stopped by the listing of the sturgeon.’
- ‘Experience from other countries shows that major gains in forest productivity can result from incremental or intensive silviculture combined with improvements to tree species.’
- ‘Central to their beliefs was the idea that small farmers and trees did not mix, that agriculture and silviculture did not mix.’
- ‘Although adjacent to dense forests altered by silviculture, vegetation in the swale resembles that of boggy pine savannas or flatwoods.’
- ‘Five sites each occurred within forested landscapes disturbed by agriculture and those disturbed by silviculture.’
Late 19th century: from French sylviculture, from Latin silva wood + French culture cultivation.