One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yellow-flowered herbaceous potentilla with silvery compound leaves, a common grassland weed of north temperate regions.
- ‘After a last stream - beehives here - we're on a dead-end road with silverweed growing down the middle of the Tarmac.’
- ‘Expansion of the endangered silverweed at Wolf Lake is another sign of success.’
- ‘The undersides of the leaves are silvery with fine hairs, hence the name silverweed.’
- ‘The Pacific silverweed prefers sunny coastal dunes to marsh edges, sandy bluffs, wetland meadows and mudflats.’
- ‘But often I grazed fields like this one, searching for silverweed, wild garlic, cress in the damp corners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.