One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Hawaiian plant of the daisy family, which has long, narrow leaves with silvery hairs and clusters of purplish flowers.
Genus Argyroxiphium, family Compositae
- ‘The cooperative efforts for the recovery of the Hawaiian silversword, as described in volumes 13, 23, and 25 of the Endangered Species Bulletin, are exactly what are needed for the numerous other endangered Hawaiian plants.’
- ‘Hawaii has similar ‘radiations’ of fruit flies and silversword plants, while St. Helena is overloaded with ferns and weevils.’
- ‘The long-term goal of the foundation and its partners is to reintroduce 15,000 to 20,000 silverswords on both Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.’
- ‘Of the many endangered plant species in the Hawaiian Islands, silverswords have the highest profile due to their radiant beauty and the severity of the threats confronting them.’
- ‘The major threat to the recovery of silverswords (and many other endangered plant species in Hawaii) continues to be alien ungulates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.