One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A chiefly nocturnal silvery bristletail that frequents houses and other buildings, feeding on starchy materials.
Lepisma saccharina, family Lepismatidae
- ‘I doubt so, the pages would have been eaten by moths and silverfish long before the work became public domain.’
- ‘The Clinic has plans to market insecticidal papers which need to be interleafed in books and magazines to keep away silverfish and bookworms.’
- ‘Ants and insects including silverfish, woolly bears, earwigs and spiders can be tackled with products from hardware shops.’
- ‘Borates are the most effective treatment for many crawling insects including, roaches, silverfish, larder beetles, carpenter ants, and other woodborers, as well as wood decay organisms.’
- ‘The owner of a ‘filthy’ Hull bakery which was found to have an infestation of ants, silverfish and grain beetle has been fined £6,000 for a catalogue of offences that could have led to serious food poisoning.’
2A silver-colored fish, especially a variety of goldfish.
- ‘The sun had set and looking up through the water we could see the moon's rays filtering in and giving the water an eerie silverfish glow.’
- ‘But during studies of the foraging behavior of Weddell seals, the researchers acquired considerable data on two important fish species: the Antarctic silverfish and the Antarctic toothfish.’
- ‘In addition Pleuragramma antarcticum, the Antarctic silverfish, is the primary fish prey for both predators.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.