One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elderly person who is a regular or enthusiastic Internet user.
- ‘Despite the emergence of silver surfers - pensioners who spend time online - there are still two in every five households which do not have the internet.’
- ‘Grey-haired internet users - known as silver surfers - will become the dominant group using the worldwide web by the end of the year, according to online analysts Hitwise.’
- ‘The current generation of "silver surfers" spends an average of six hours online each week, research by the insurance company AXA found.’
- ‘Heather Hopkins, of Hitwise, said: "It's phenomenal how quickly silver surfers have increased in numbers."’
- ‘This rise in silver surfers mirrors a similar increase in the UK.’
- ‘I hope this may encourage any other "silver surfers" to experiment.’
- ‘Grandmother Margaret Haugh has become a "silver surfer" - to watch a yacht sail the wrong way around the world.’
- ‘It has also attracted a number of "silver surfers" - people over the age of 50 developing new skills by learning online.’
- ‘Search engines, shopping and pornography are the three most common websites that are visited by silver surfers.’
- ‘Thank you for your newsletter, as it helps a ' silver surfer ' like me to get by with the day-to-day computing tasks.’
- ‘Another 19 percent are what he called "silver surfers," elderly passengers who want to visit family and friends and often travel during nonpeak periods.’
- ‘Now a confirmed silver surfer, Mr Leng admitted he does sometimes have trouble with attachments.’
- ‘We don't like being portrayed officially as dodderers with sticks and bent backs who are a menace on the roads and we object to patronising jokes about silver surfers.’
- ‘From offensive road signs to bad jokes about silver surfers, age discrimination is one of the besetting problems of our times’
- ‘He is one of the silver surfers taking part in a new computer course at Margaret Ward Court on Wellfield Street.’
- ‘His efforts are the result of close co-operation with a trio of silver surfers who read each chapter as it was written to see if they could keep up.’
- ‘Conversely he is very careful where he goes and what he does online, as is the way perhaps of silver surfers.’
- ‘The internet is now dominated by silver surfers who spend more time online than any other group, according to a comprehensive study by the communications watchdog.’
- ‘They tend to outnumber the ' silver surfers ' by quite a lot.’
- ‘Could this silver surfer of the cyberspaceways be an RSS man-mountain?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.