One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decoration bestowed by the US Army upon a soldier for gallantry in action.
- ‘He was wounded slightly on three different occasions and received a Silver Star for bravery.’
- ‘As far as the values of the Army, it's not to earn a Silver Star; it's to uphold what you signed on for.’
- ‘After graduating 35th in the US Military Academy class of 1936, he led men in combat; won a Silver Star, croix de guerre, and other medals; and attained the rank of lieutenant general.’
- ‘He received a Silver Star, the Army's third-highest award for valor.’
- ‘From 1969 to 1970 he served as a company commander in Vietnam, where he won a Silver Star for gallantry after being wounded in a skirmish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.