One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British Foil made of aluminum or other silver-colored metal.
- ‘In those far off days I used bits of bird feather, rabbit fur and silver paper wrapped around a hook.’
- ‘Add a strip of silver paper to cover flame edges.’
- ‘‘Look,’ she said, touching it with both her hands to emphasise the point, ‘it's wrapped in silver paper.’’
- ‘Louise began experimenting with different materials in an attempt to bring the outdoors inside, graduating from silver paper to specialist hobby paints.’
- ‘But I didn't expect him to give me a rectangular box wrapped in silver paper with a card reading the name Keith.’
2archaic Fine white tissue paper.
- ‘There is a tariff on papers known commercially as copying paper, filtering paper, silver paper, and tissue paper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.