1A fungal disease of ornamental and fruit trees, especially plum trees, resulting in silvery discoloration of the leaves.
- ‘If plum trees are pruned at the wrong time of year, they are often attacked by silver leaf, a serious fungal disease.’
- ‘We think your flowering cherry trees may have silver leaf fungus disease.’
2Silver that has been beaten into a very thin sheet, suitable for applying to surfaces as a decoration.
- ‘Gold and silver leaf are used in the Indian subcontinent.’
- ‘Many of his current paintings feature hand-worked gold and silver leaf, gold porcelain or appliqué from other media such as sheet music and fabric.’
- ‘Some graphics become unique multi-media works with the addition of collage elements - paper or items glued onto the face of the print - or the addition of gold or silver leaf.’
- ‘A chart was done of how the sky would look at the dawn of the millennium, and I had to recreate the scene in gold and silver leaf.’
- ‘At about the same time plaster casts were made of known carvings on Stones 3, 4, and 53, enhanced by a novel method of applying silver leaf.’