One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fungal disease of ornamental and fruit trees, especially plum trees, resulting in silvery discoloration of the leaves.
The fungus is Chondrostereum purpureum, family Stereaceae, class Hymenomycetes
- ‘We think your flowering cherry trees may have silver leaf fungus disease.’
- ‘If plum trees are pruned at the wrong time of year, they are often attacked by silver leaf, a serious fungal disease.’
2Silver that has been beaten into a very thin sheet, suitable for applying to surfaces as a decoration.
- ‘Gold and silver leaf are used in the Indian subcontinent.’
- ‘At about the same time plaster casts were made of known carvings on Stones 3, 4, and 53, enhanced by a novel method of applying silver leaf.’
- ‘A chart was done of how the sky would look at the dawn of the millennium, and I had to recreate the scene in gold and silver leaf.’
- ‘Many of his current paintings feature hand-worked gold and silver leaf, gold porcelain or appliqué from other media such as sheet music and fabric.’
- ‘Some graphics become unique multi-media works with the addition of collage elements - paper or items glued onto the face of the print - or the addition of gold or silver leaf.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.