One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘However, for the prince, display was an essential function of silver and silver gilt as he aped the mania of his rival Napoleon for silver gilt and gilt bronze.’
- ‘The original was lost to the nation in 1900, but the Nelson Society sees 2005 as the ideal time to restore to the public one of Nelson's Naval Gold Medals - albeit a reproduction in gold, silver gilt and bronze gilt.’
- ‘The bowl is silver gilt, and various elements, including sand, seaweed, and fish, are gilded.’
- ‘Then, in 1900, the Havemeyers commissioned Tiffany to produce an unusual punch bowl with three silver and glass ladles suspended from glass hooks of iridescent gold Favrile glass and silver gilt, in a fluid design of wave motifs.’
- ‘Magnificent presentation swords, in silver gilt and even gold, were given in large quantities to naval and military heroes.’
- 1.1 An imitation gilding of yellow lacquer over silver leaf.
- ‘The silver gilt trophy, which was awarded for the 1767 Richmond Gold Cup race, stands nearly 19 inches tall and weighs 132 ounces.’
silver gilt/ˈsilvər ɡilt/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.