One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hard refractory crystalline compound of silicon and carbon; carborundum.
Chemical formula: SiC
- ‘A compound known as silicon carbide, also known as carborundum, is one of the hardest substances known.’
- ‘The most common abrasives include aluminum oxide and silicon carbide.’
- ‘Unlike conventional reflecting telescopes, Herschel's telescope mirror is being made from a novel ceramic material called silicon carbide.’
- ‘In what may be the most important chemical discovery since silicon itself, Toyota researchers have found a way to create uniform crystals with silicon and carbon, silicon carbide.’
- ‘The team from the university's School of Engineering are the first to manufacture these engines in a durable, heat resistant material such as ceramic or silicon carbide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.