One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sign's physical form (such as a sound, printed word, or image) as distinct from its meaning.Compare with signified
symbol, mark, cipher, letter, character, numeral, figure, type, code, hieroglyphView synonyms
- ‘The principal concern is the preposition ‘on’ as a signifier of contact with a surface - especially an upper surface.’
- ‘In Saussure's theory of linguistics, the signifier is the sound and the signified is the thought.’
- ‘Phonology was of linguistic interest only to the extent that sound patterns functioned as signifiers.’
- ‘They draw attention to contingent referents, the signifiers and the sign-systems that position subjects as such.’
- ‘Social meaning and communication derive from a variety of signs and signifiers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.