One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The representation or conveying of meaning.
- ‘Derrida suggests that representation or signification is based on both a distance from a signified and a difference among terms.’
- ‘The task of representation and signification (the task of culture) is to draw the group together, no matter how widespread or dispersed, to make it coherent and identifiably different from other groups.’
- ‘There's a complex structure of meaning and signification in her work, as clearly comes across in reading through several transcripts of her pieces.’
- ‘Most of these anthropologists have tried, like those who have investigated Abelam culture, to present structural or systemic analyses of the nature of the meaning or signification of particular cultural forms.’
- ‘We can recognize a logic of the unconscious only through its representation in the symbolic order, through the effect of signification.’
- 1.1 An exact meaning or sense.
meaning, definition, import, denotation, significance, purport, implication, intention, nuance, drift, gist, thrust, tenor, burden, theme, message, essence, spirit, substanceView synonyms
- ‘He implies that there is an unconscious substrate of symbolic life which allows new meaning to be created from the multiple significations of existing symbols.’
- ‘The significations of some names, such as those corresponding to natural-kind terms, are ‘abstractions’ in the sense that they include only certain features of the things to which the term refers.’
- ‘In traditional signification, the Sun represents the captain, the boss, the leader or the king.’
- ‘The key in this definition is to note that an object's status is dependent on other significations of other affects, manifested in the brand names themselves.’
- ‘In such ‘first contact’ scenes, aliens can of course speak perfect English yet lack certain key concepts and their associated significations, which the humans can then explain.’
- ‘Is there any other short word so charged with a multiplicity of meanings and significations, so many disparate elements?’
- ‘As part of this larger tradition that connects performance with religious significations, nuchibana contains action signs that explicitly symbolize the worshipping of gods through performance as ‘play.’’
Middle English: via Old French from Latin significatio(n-), from significare ‘indicate’ (see signify).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.