One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A building beside a railroad track from which signals, switches, and other equipment are controlled.
- ‘When the alarm was activated at the site a signal box at the station would ring.’
- ‘Look out of the window as your train passes the signal box at Hessay, near Poppleton and you will be treated to a burst of floral colour.’
- ‘He hopes an old signal box, unearthed while digging drainage, can be restored as a further reminder of the line's history.’
- ‘The subject of this volume is railway buildings, including bridges and viaducts, stations, signal boxes, and hotel and railway workers' houses.’
- ‘The doors also swung open on a Victorian Motor Show, an interactive motor car gallery, veteran car ride, a period Co-op shop and extended street scene including cycle shop, railway signal box, chemist, cinema, and arcade.’
- ‘During the war she worked at a munitions factory in Chorley and then in the signal box at Newhey railway station.’
- ‘You know, you're sitting on a train and you make some innocent comment about how the signal box isn't working properly to the passenger sitting next to you and it turns out he's a train spotter.’
- ‘You could see the local signal box with the signalman busy in it.’
- ‘The heritage railway offers much to the enthusiast, including two tunnels, two level-crossings, two signal boxes and six stations.’
- ‘Bertie Walsh and Jimmy Kelly both visited the school and afterwards gave the boys a tour of the railway station and the old signal box.’
- ‘Meanwhile, services were disrupted for several hours last night on the main Transpennine route, via Huddersfield, after a signal box had to be closed.’
- ‘Of course half of South London had to abandon their cars last night and of course the rain has short-circuited half the signal boxes on our railways this morning.’
- ‘The station buildings and signal box at Llanfair are survivors from the Great Western era, and painted in that line's typical brown and cream colour scheme.’
- ‘Rail bosses have warmly welcomed plans to transform an old signal box at York Station into a coffee shop and passenger lounge.’
- ‘Neary said the Indian Pacific driver could not contact the Penrith signal box on his own radio system because it operated on a different frequency.’
- ‘Network Railwill be renewing track, foundations and signalling equipment through Stockport station and upgrading five signal boxes, which date back to Victorian times.’
- ‘A railway station has been rebuilt near the town, featuring a goods yard, a weighbridge and a signal box.’
- ‘Signalmen, more used to manhandling the heavy levers of Victorian signal boxes, have begun controlling one of the area's busiest junctions with the click of a mouse.’
- ‘‘Realising there was a potential disaster he ran to the emergency phone to call the signal box, but before he got a response, the train came through,’ said Mr Trotter.’
- ‘It's the feeling you get when you're pulling levers in a signal box, keeping trains on time, and safely piloting hundreds of journeys to and from work every minute.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.