Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The activity of visiting places of interest in a particular location.‘our two-week trip combines spectacular sightseeing and superb hospitality’
journeys, expeditions, trips, tours, excursions, voyages, treks, safaris, odysseys, pilgrimages, jauntsView synonyms
- ‘The top activities were sightseeing, pool lounging and shopping.’
- ‘All of these hotels leave you well placed for both shopping and sightseeing - two of the activities for which Singapore is rightly well known.’
- ‘Not everyone wants to spend their entire holiday diving, and we know many of you like to combine underwater sightseeing with a family holiday or a break with friends.’
- ‘The next morning people got early starts on tours, shopping and personal sightseeing.’
- ‘They can foresee the day when swim-with-dolphin tours are stopped and only sightseeing is allowed.’
- ‘Both are fans of the opera and ballet and would like to combine a long weekend of sightseeing with some form of entertainment each night.’
- ‘Some cruises offer aerial sightseeing, white water rafting, and hikes amongst other things.’
- ‘And one of the ideas we have to promote tourism in Lucknow is to offer city sightseeing in old classic cars!’
- ‘The package gave us the holiday feeling right to the very end, with another sightseeing tour around the city.’
- ‘The lack of tourists made for great sightseeing and some quiet dinners.’
- ‘You can easily combine your sport with a winter-sun holiday full of sightseeing and safaris.’
- ‘The tour takes in the shrines of both places and some sightseeing as well.’
- ‘The city's core industry is oil, so the downtown area has very little to offer to tourists in terms of sightseeing.’
- ‘On the final day of the trip Mr Higgins enjoyed some sightseeing around the capital of Beijing.’
- ‘Take a city bus tour, go sightseeing by tram or head for the water on one of the many boat cruises.’
- ‘To really stretch travel food dollars, construct a picnic lunch to take with you on your daytime sightseeing trips.’
- ‘After several hours on a bumpy road, you will be rewarded with some of the most spectacular and memorable sightseeing of your trip.’
- ‘Besides sightseeing, hiking is probably the most popular activity in the canyon.’
- ‘The trip will include a full day's sightseeing in Waterford City, including a guided tour of the Waterford Crystal Factory.’
- ‘If you are interested in Paris, leave two extra days for sightseeing and shopping.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.