One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pleasing to the eye.‘metal guards can also be used but are less sightly’
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistibleView synonyms
- ‘Veneers might offer a quick-fix Hollywood grin, but braces are making a comeback as technological advances make them more sightly - and more effective.’
- ‘A lighted Christmas crib, the hand-craft of John Earley, was donated to the town and positioned in Main Street opposite Mooney's Lounge, and it creates a sightly scene.’
- ‘Even as an open space it would be more sightly than the old glasshouse.’
- ‘Old railway sleepers have been laid along substantial stretches of the path to Coire Ardair: perhaps not the most sightly solution to the problem, but it has been successful in allowing vegetation on either side to regenerate.’
- ‘The renovation now makes it a sightly scene and one of great respect.’
- ‘An unlikely mix of Italian Taleggio, pesto, and pine nuts was more sightly and tasted surprisingly smooth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.