One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shot made to test that the sights of a firearm are correctly adjusted.
- ‘There is an immovable sight-in target that allows unlimited sighting shots to get adjustments on target.’
- ‘After a three-minute preparation time, during which the shooters are introduced to the audience, and a five-minute sighting shot period, separate commands are given for each competition shot, with a time limit of 75 seconds per shot.’
- ‘At this stage of the war gunners had to fire ‘sighting shots ' to ensure accuracy before opening a bombardment.’
- ‘Casey shot the remanded five sighting shots before waiting for the other and reloading the magazine.’
- ‘Before the competition shots, but within the time limit, the shooter may fire an unlimited number of sighting shots at specially marked targets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.