One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large gregarious lemur which leaps from tree to tree in an upright position.
Genus Propithecus, family Indriidae: two species
- ‘Various studies are looking at how sifakas and other lemurs are affected by this forest fragmentation and whether they would benefit from the creation of ‘corridors’ connecting isolated patches of habitat.’
- ‘You'll see some of the island's wildlife - indri, aye-aye, and sifaka to name a few - and gain a deep understanding of their place in one of the world's most unique ecosystems.’
- ‘For her thesis, she investigated how Verreaux's sifakas rear their infants.’
- ‘It is almost as if sifakas have deliberately chosen the most difficult of all the primate patterns ever observed: high mortality coupled with slow reproduction.’
- ‘His team studied Verreaux's sifakas in Kirindy Forest, western Madagascar.’
- ‘Perrier's sifaka of Madagascar and the Tana River red colobus of Kenya are now restricted to tiny patches of tropical forest, leaving them vulnerable to rapid eradication.’
- ‘Verreaux's sifakas (Propithecus verreauxi verreauxi) are the most prominent inhabitants of Kirindy.’
- ‘She's also one of a handful of scientists to perform critical work on the highly endangered silky sifaka and Perrier's sifaka, whose habits remain a mystery to biologists.’
- ‘Toni Lyn Morelli, one of Wright's graduate students, has been sampling blood of these sifakas and analyzing it genetically.’
- ‘Within a group of sifakas life is reasonably peaceful: members spend a lot more time grooming each other than they do squabbling.’
- ‘In both cases, sifakas had just carried out long feeding bouts on seeds from over-ripe fallen fruits.’
- ‘Although both species primarily ate young leaves, the sifakas had a stronger taste for fruit, fruit seeds, and flowers, whose simple sugars and fats can be assimilated quickly into the bloodstream.’
Mid 19th century: from Malagasy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.