One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A series of sieve tube elements placed end to end to form a continuous tube.
- ‘Inside the phloem, it seems to be a common feature that companion cells are the principal receivers of the translocated photosynthates from the shoot through sieve tubes.’
- ‘In the beans, the needle-shaped protein complexes are situated in so-called sieve tubes, where they control the plant's flow of sugar-bearing fluid.’
- ‘Resistivity dramatically increases at the end of each sieve tube when passing through the pores, and it is unlikely that this effect could be described by a simple equation for the pathway from source to sink compartments.’
- ‘The sap is well protected from herbivores by a thick layer of bark, and by an injury-induced response that releases proteins to prevent continued bleeding from injured sieve tubes.’
- ‘Other components, such as sieve tubes and parenchyma cells, are not efficient axial light conductors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.