One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The period of revolution of one body around another with respect to the distant stars.
- ‘He discovered that in 7 cycles of 12 years, Jupiter had completed seven and one twelfth orbits, giving its sidereal period as 11.859 years (accurate to within one part in 4000).’
- ‘The names of our weekdays, and the fact that there are seven of them, probably reflect astrological assumptions concerning the significance of the sidereal periods of the planets.’
- ‘Each year is still equivalent to the sidereal period of the Earth, one revolution around the Sun.’
- ‘Even the sidereal period, the time for a complete orbit of the moon around the Earth, relative to an observer outside the solar system, is 27.322 Earth days, so once again is not a multiple of seven.’
- ‘Note that this is not to be confused with the sidereal period, the time for a complete orbit of Venus around the Sun, relative to an observer outside the solar system, which is 224.7 days.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.