Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The time it takes the moon to orbit once around the earth with respect to the stars (approximately 271/4 days)
- ‘In different Indian lunisolar calendars the lunar month is used, mixed with the sidereal month.’
- ‘How would the synodic and sidereal months differ if the moon orbited the Earth in the opposite direction?’
- ‘During the sidereal months of Sagittarius and Capricorn, the Sun is nearest to the earth.’
- ‘There are on average about 13.37 sidereal months in a tropical year.’
- ‘Thus, a lunar month is longer than a sidereal month by about 1/12 th of a month, or two-and-a-half days roughly.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.