One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A clock measuring sidereal time in terms of 24 equal divisions of a sidereal day.
- ‘This firm was in business in London from about 1820 to 1840, and nearly all of the sidereal clocks which came to America during this period were made by them.’
- ‘Like military time clocks, sidereal clocks run from 0 hours to 24 hours but they run a tiny bit faster than normal clocks, completing 24 hours in 23h 56m.’
- ‘Because the side real day is 4 solar minutes shorter than the solar day, sidereal clocks tick at a slightly different rate than solar clocks.’
- ‘After a year, the sidereal clock would be exactly a day faster: there are 366 sidereal days in a year.’
- ‘In fact a sidereal clock and an ordinary clock tick at different rates because they are based upon different astronomical objects.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.