A supporting musician in a jazz band or rock group.
- ‘A favourite sideman of Charles Mingus in the early 1960s, Ervin went on to form one of contemporary jazz's great quartets and recorded a series of seminal albums including The Freedom Book and The Space Book.’
- ‘Do you think you could ever be a sideman in someone else's band?’
- ‘Duke Ellington brought an elegance to jazz composition that earned the respect of classical musicians, as well as the sidemen in his own band.’
- ‘Bassist Dave Young's credentials are many, as a sideman with some of the world's greatest jazz artists, and as a leader.’
- ‘One of the things that's interesting to me is that you seem to be able to balance careers as both a sideman and as a leader of your own band.’