One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wind blowing predominantly from one side.
- ‘They showed that I had a good head wind going south on the first leg, then a light head wind on the leg going west, then a side wind (again from the west) going north east back to Quest.’
- ‘On Thursday and Friday, dozens of planes had to divert from Moscow airports to destinations such as Nizhny Novgorod, or were stranded in Moscow due to strong side winds, limited visibility and slippery tarmacs, Interfax reported.’
- ‘While the wind that came head-on tended to slow their progress, the side winds pushing them into the traffic turned out to be the real enemy.’
- ‘Explain side winds by pushing the student off course so he or she has to angle against you to get to the other end of the room.’
- ‘The field was sure to break up from the stiff side wind and the yo-yo effect that was sure to happen at each turnaround.’
- ‘I was strictly speaking about how side wind affects the arrow's flight.’
- ‘To save energy, they soared on tailwinds or side winds.’
- ‘The blustery side winds can upset the car's aerodynamic balance in the fast corners, while a head or a tail wind can affect our choice of gear ratios.’
- ‘We would be shooting at an outdoor range with a gusty five to 10 mph side wind to make things interesting.’
- ‘At about kilometer 15 we hit a really windy patch with strong side winds.’
- ‘It self-corrects in side winds and on uneven roads to keep to the intended direction of travel.’
- ‘The warning sign for areas with side winds was identified by five per cent of motorists as ‘kite flying area ahead’’
- ‘After the climbs we had a strong side wind which is very stressful for the peloton because it can easily break up and riders, or large groups, can get dropped, which happened on numerous occasions today.’
- ‘So with the heavy overhead campers you may need to add air bags to the rear axle to lessen the Elvis hip action in side winds.’
- ‘Around 50 kilometers from the finish we were faced with an even stronger side wind and the peloton formed an echelon.’
- ‘Having circled the earth twice in an unmanned mode, it landed on an airfield with a very high accuracy despite a very strong side wind.’
- ‘‘Either the pilot panicked, either there was some side wind or the instruments failed or there was an external factor,’ he said.’
- ‘John Cobb has done wind tunnel testing on the effect of side winds on frames and wheels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.