A suit other than the trump suit.
- ‘In side suits, counting is somewhat pointless.’
- ‘The general strategy is to pick a side suit (almost always the suit played on the first trick) and lead it at every opportunity.’
- ‘When the declarer leads from a side suit, it is very often right for the defenders to hold back their high cards.’
- ‘A strong trump holding by itself will usually not be enough for the declarer to win, he needs additional tricks in side suits.’
- ‘If you are playing a suit contract, and an opponent leads the Ace of a side suit in which you hold the King, you can trump the Ace and then lead the King to win another trick.’