One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plate smaller than a dinner plate, used for bread or other accompaniments to a meal.
dish, platter, bowl, salverView synonyms
- ‘Pretty patchwork place mats were placed on a crisp white linen tablecloth with a side plate full of gleaming cutlery, all illuminated by a large church candle.’
- ‘An alarming spill of red pepper-tinted olive oil floods the hills and valleys of this dish, but I say pour it off onto a side plate and enjoy the dish's own flavor pyrotechnics, which are a blast.’
- ‘Two slices of toast, a pat of butter and a blob of marmalade were on a side plate accompanied by a glass of ice water.’
- ‘This includes dinner, oval and side plates, footed bowls and coffee mugs, with prices from €6.30.’
- ‘I ordered tagliatelle with tomato and basil with some roast suckling pig on a side plate.’
- ‘Just ask for an extra side plate, knife and fork.’
- ‘We had made a pre-dinner pact to share the spoils, so when our starters arrived we asked for two side plates so we could divvy them up.’
- ‘And then there were the endless soft pretzels, another local favourite that is often the size of a side plate and topped with mass-produced mustard.’
- ‘The smoked salmon was succulent and tender and came with some excellent home made walnut and raisin bread, I was disappointed though that we were not given any other bread, despite having side plates and butter on the table.’
- ‘Both side plates were wet and one had crumbs on it.’
- ‘One of my favourite dishes was the Rodopski Klin - a round cake, about the size of a side plate and just more than a centimetre thick, with a thin skin of filo pastry holding together a mixture of rice, cheese and yoghurt.’
- ‘She retaliated by taking his muffin from his side plate and took a bite from it… much to his amazement!’
- ‘The Meadows and Byrne collection includes table linen to match each of their Christmas ranges as well as a range of seasonal dinner services including the best-selling reindeer mugs and accompanying side plates.’
- ‘Sure, they could do a few things better: we need more paper napkins to wipe our greedy hands, dinner-sized plates would be nicer to eat from than the side plates provided, and our bill came to the table before we could order dessert.’
- ‘They are also supplemented with the side plates, soup and desert bowls.’
- ‘The service was totally shocking, and we had to ask for everything we wanted - drinks, napkins, side plates, ground black pepper, and so on.’
- ‘Both were served with just the right amount of fresh vegetables on a side plate.’
- ‘Two bowls, a tiny side plate, a pair of chopsticks and a cloth square were all wrapped in another square like an Oriental version of the mess kit she used in Girl Guides.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.