Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish served as subsidiary to the main one.‘both were served with an excellent side dish of fresh vegetables’
- ‘In home kitchens, fiber-rich pearled barley can be added to stuffings, or served as a side dish - like rice.’
- ‘The leaves were boiled or stir-fried and served as a side dish.’
- ‘Polenta, a mush made of cornmeal, is often served as a side dish, especially in northern Italy.’
- ‘Because of the use of spices and curry for the main dish, the usual side dish is plain rice.’
- ‘This recipe makes enough to serve four as a main course, more as a side dish.’
- ‘Grits for breakfast, or served as a side dish, are long-established dishes of the southern states.’
- ‘Serve thyme-roasted vegetables warm with brown rice or polenta as a main course, or by themselves as a side dish.’
- ‘The key to creating a great side dish is not only fresh ingredients, but seasonal ones as well.’
- ‘We also shared the side dish of the day which was delicious pan-fried mushrooms and fresh green beans with mixed herbs.’
- ‘The chefs had 60 minutes to prepare and cook one main curry dish and one side dish with rice or bread.’
- ‘Rice pilaf, which sometimes contains currants and pine nuts, is served as a side dish.’
- ‘Both main courses were served with a side dish of vegetables, including some rather elderly cabbage smeared in melted butter.’
- ‘This cornmeal batter, fried and served as a side dish, has become an icon in southern fare.’
- ‘Bulgur can also be served as an entrée or side dish with seasonings, vegetables, nuts or small amounts of meat or fish.’
- ‘The side dish of salad was excellent and featured traditional salad ingredients as well as delicious slices of fresh mango and avocado.’
- ‘There was a large bowl of spaghetti, a dish of meatballs and tomato sauce, and another side dish of long breadsticks.’
- ‘Also, focus your meals around vegetables and grains, using meat as a side dish or condiment rather than the main attraction.’
- ‘Top with crumbled feta or freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese and serve as a side dish.’
- ‘Miso soup, a traditional soybean-based side dish, is ‘just full of nutrients,’ she said.’
- ‘A typical Korean meal includes soup, rice served with grains or beans, and kimchi served as a side dish.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.