Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A group of atoms attached to the main part of a molecule and having a ring or chain structure.
- ‘An enzyme that methylates the carboxyl side chain of IAA has recently been described.’
- ‘An intramolecular photoreduction involving the isoalloxazinic ring and the ribityl side chain also cannot be discarded.’
- ‘The side chains were represented by the coordinates of the center of each side chain, where the center was defined as the average of the coordinates of all atoms in the side chain.’
- ‘This finding is consistent with our results in that the removal of the acyl side chain of avicin G results in the loss of all channel-like behavior.’
- ‘Structural modification of the side chain of caffeic acid produced slight changes in activity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.