Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A freshwater turtle with a relatively long head and neck that is retracted sideways into the shell for defense.
- ‘The 70 or so species of side-necked turtles bend their necks sideways and tuck their heads in under the front edge of the upper shell.’
- ‘The carapace of this appealing side-necked turtle is a medium to charcoal gray color with no design.’
- ‘This turtle is a side-necked turtle, as are all turtle species of New Guinea and Australia.’
- ‘The side-necked turtles retracted their heads sideways, while the arch-necked turtles folded their necks in an S-like shape.’
- ‘Modern side-necked turtles are found only in the southern hemisphere and withdraw their heads sideways under the shell.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.