One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Utter with a hissing sound.
hum, drone, bumble, whir, fizz, fuzz, hiss, sing, murmur, whisperView synonyms
- ‘He sibilated sharply and slammed Trey's iced coffee on the counter, stumbling back frantically.’
- ‘Vishal loved the way they sibilated the word.’
- ‘‘Come here,’ the young man sibilates, but then he sits down next to her.’
- ‘The needle, as it glides across the grooves, sibilates softly and crackles once or twice.’
- ‘Imagine a subtle chorus of voices, the ever present sibilating that accompanies any large crowd.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin sibilat- ‘hissed, whistled’, from the verb sibilare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.