One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tiger of a large and threatened race with a long thick coat, found in southeastern Siberia and northeastern China.
- ‘A huge new big cat house contains two endangered Siberian tigers and European lynx.’
- ‘The painter was the shop owner, Cui Delin, a native from Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, home to Siberian tigers in the country.’
- ‘It holds possibly the biggest single contiguous tiger population in the world (rivalled only by the Siberian tigers in the Primorski Krai region of Russia).’
- ‘Despite persistent threats from logging and poaching, Siberian tigers continue to live in healthy numbers in the frosty, remote forests of Russia, a recent comprehensive survey showed.’
- ‘In eastern Russia, poachers were killing between 50 to 70 Siberian tigers a year, according to the Save the Tiger Fund.’
- ‘As a final party trick, a soldier brings out Kadyrov's two famous pets: a Siberian tiger and a lion cub given to him by friends.’
- ‘Four big cats bounded in, four Siberian tigers.’
- ‘The Siberian tiger is one of five subspecies of tiger, the others being the Bengal tiger, the South China tiger, the Indo-Chinese tiger and the Sumatran tiger.’
- ‘There was a raccoon and a Siberian tiger in the room.’
- ‘Your book focuses on the lions of Gir, the saltwater crocs of Australia's Northern Territory, Romania's brown bears, and Siberian tigers.’
- ‘It was not the first time vets from the firm had treated animals in Russia, as partner John Lewis has visited the country about a dozen times to work with Mr Kertesz on Siberian tigers and leopards.’
- ‘A Kansas teenager who was posing for her senior year photo with a Siberian tiger at an animal sanctuary was killed when the big cat suddenly clamped its jaws on her, police said yesterday.’
- ‘Once herbivore populations have been established, the plan is to acclimatize Siberian tigers, predators whose modern survival is threatened by poaching.’
- ‘Millions of dollars go to house artwork in museums, but there are more Rembrandts in the world than there are Siberian tigers.’
- ‘The list of the critically endangered include the black rhino and Siberian tiger and the Amur leopard of Asia.’
- ‘Reserves were created to save critical habitat for endangered species such as the Siberian tiger, saiga antelope, Russian desman and black stork.’
- ‘Larger than Siberian tigers, cave lions once ranged throughout the Northern Hemisphere.’
- ‘Home to six Siberian tigers, the three-acre, $8.5 million Tiger Mountain habitat includes a 10,000 gallon swimming hole featuring a man-made stream and an underground viewing area.’
- ‘In Northeast China, a Siberian tiger was recently found killed after it fell prey to a trap originally set by the locals for boars.’
- ‘Wide-ranging and solitary, Siberian tigers rule a domain inhabited by wild boar and elk, which feed on the Korean pine's meaty nuts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.