Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sleep.‘we'd better get some shut-eye’
- ‘Experts agree that young teens need at least eight-and-a-half hours of shut-eye each night.’
- ‘Instead of worrying about how you get shut-eye, try to get more of it.’
- ‘All this thinking had once again cost me a good night's sleep, only getting maybe 4hrs of shut-eye before my alarm roused me and the reality of another day at the coalface was a head of me set in.’
- ‘It's time we open our eyes to the benefits of getting enough shut-eye.’
- ‘For the pain of failing to catch some shut-eye at night is known only to those unlucky ones who experience sleep disorders.’
- ‘In another study, kids 6 to 13 didn't do nearly as well on simple tests when they were shut-eye deprived.’
- ‘Unfortunately, it's been more of the latter lately, so watch out for the signs that you need more shut-eye.’
- ‘Hain's officials insisted he heard everything but didn't actually deny that he was catching some quick shut-eye.’
- ‘Whitney was picked up by police at a bank in Largo, Florida, where he'd hunkered down to catch a bit of shut-eye.’
- ‘I have now reached the point where I am so tired that I'm beyond the point of just getting a few hours shut-eye to recover.’
- ‘So I'm down one hour's worth of shut-eye and I'm mighty cranky.’
- ‘Almost a third of children under age 4 wake up in the middle of the night and, consequently, don't get enough shut-eye, according to a National Sleep Foundation survey.’
- ‘When we used to go Vegas, he would gamble for two days without sleeping then he'd catch some shut-eye for a few hours then go back to the casino.’
- ‘I didn't stay very long, as I was dead on my feet following the early start, and I was badly in need of a couple of hours shut-eye before the company Christmas party that night.’
- ‘Daily physical fitness is just as crucial to good health as getting three square meals and eight hours of shut-eye.’
- ‘But chronic snoring can be a real detriment to getting a good night's shut-eye.’
- ‘Winning races, or even just getting extra hours in a day, is not a bad trade-off for a little less shut-eye, so Dr. Sleep has an interesting bargain for a tired world.’
- ‘A new survey reports that Asians get the least sleep, with those in Japan getting the least amount of shut-eye in the world.’
- ‘Most of us, he claims, do it surreptitiously at our desks, although some retire to their cars or, if they're really desperate for a bit of shut-eye, the toilet cubicle.’
- ‘You need close to eight hours of shut-eye each night, along with periodization training, in which you incorporate a couple of days or weeks doing light or no exercise, to get stronger.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.