One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A look or reconnoiter, especially a quick one.‘I'll take a shufti round the wood while I'm about it’
glance, observation, view, examination, study, inspection, scan, survey, sight, peep, peek, glimpse, gaze, stare, gape, ogleView synonyms
- ‘A quick shufti through his bank accounts should clear all this up.’
- ‘Well, you can have a shufti at the whole programme here.’
- ‘You can have a shufti at the full dial-up package here.’
- ‘Those wishing to keep up with, and ultimately blow away, the Joneses, should have a shufti here.’
- ‘Hospital staff had a shufti and sent Stevens on his way with a quick ‘go home and keep an eye on it’.’
- ‘Even those uneducated in the merits of various leagues would require only a quick shufti at the Nationwide First Division table to know the Premiership is the place everyone wants to be.’
1940s (originally military slang): from Arabic šāfa ‘try to see’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.