One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A goldfish of an ornamental variety, having black spots, red patches, and long fins and tail.
- ‘They said that they had seen shubunkins with the beautiful colors and they couldn't detect scales.’
- ‘The shubunkin has a completely different body shape than last months goldfish, the oranda, and a different origin.’
- ‘New tanks and ponds with inadequate filter systems also generate enough ammonia to stress shubunkins.’
- ‘I have no experience with the crossbreeding of commons and shubunkins so it's just a guess on my behalf.’
- ‘Today morning when I went to switch on the Aquarium Light, I found 2 male shubunkin goldfish were following one of the female shubunkin goldfish in the aquarium.’
- ‘But anyways, last night I was sitting downstairs and looked over and saw that my large mostly white calico shubunkin was totally vertical with his head pointing down, next to the large orange comet.’
- ‘I have to say that plain old comets and shubunkins have to be my faves.’
- ‘1 minnow alone could over winter in a 15 litre tank indoors yes… but it would be best to release the shubunkins into the larger built in pond for the winter:) how deep is the underground pond?’
- ‘Members of the group took a keen interest in this fish, and in 1934 they produced the Bristol shubunkin standard.’
- ‘In China, the shubunkin is called Chuwen-chin.’
- ‘I went looking for it, moved the floating plants around and found it all alone near the surface in the It was not socializing with the other goldfish, shubunkins and small koi.’
- ‘The common goldfish, comet, London and Bristol shubunkins are all single-finned like the wild type ancestor.’
- ‘Available in the spring our koi, comets, and shubunkins are reasonably priced.’
- ‘The shubunkin can be boisterous with other fancy goldfish, chasing and nipping their tankmates.’
- ‘Both comets and shubunkins work well in most ponds and require a lot less maintenance than koi.’
- ‘It seems that the prettiest baby fish like the shubunkins and red and white fish die off most of the time while the duller fish survive predation.’
- ‘The scientific name of the shubunkin is Carrasius auratus var, and as far as I am aware this fish is available as 3 types: -’
- ‘I have had an extremely difficult time finding shubunkins here that aren't so tiny they don't survive - Petsmart specials… The other fish stores here only do the feeders.’
Early 20th century: from Japanese.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.