One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A machine or other device for shredding something, especially documents.
- ‘A conveyor then drops the cheese down into the shredder where a set of knives spin at a high rate of speed to shred the product.’
- ‘The DVD / CD shredder is a no-brainer to use and requires no technical knowledge of any kind.’
- ‘It consisted of a father and son who had a truck with a shredder on it.’
- ‘On the basis that specialist equipment - bins, banks, balers, compactors, skips, shredders - and facilities are required, suppliers must have surety of payment.’
- ‘When a trucker whose RFID card grants him port access approaches the gate, the gate goes up, and the tire shredders stay down.’
- ‘They now have a bigger incinerator and have invested in fine shredders.’
- ‘Urschel Laboratories Inc. designs and manufactures cheese shredders.’
- ‘These tire shredders are incapable of shredding tires in excess of size 17 due to the diameter of the wire in the tire sidewall.’
- ‘In general, all garden shredders have a high watt motor and come with silent crushing system.’
- ‘The DVD / CD shredder is able to destroy data at a very fast rate - up to 30 DVD / CDs a minute.’
2A musician who plays a very fast, intricate style of rock lead guitar.‘the guitarists are skilled, but not the fastest shredders around’
- ‘While too many shredders today rely on stock scales and mechanical articulation, Holt and Altus deliver a master class in how to make solos kick ass.’
- ‘This CD gives you many of Vai's contributions to various film soundtracks, adding a greater depth and dimension to his musical scope rather than being just another guitar shredder.’
- ‘In the blusterless world of modern indie rock, she's something of an anomaly: an honest-to-God shredder.’
- ‘The performances on A Concept from Fire are technically flawless - but that is the bare minimum in an age where metal musicians practice constantly and shredders are commonplace.’
- ‘The Swedish neo-classical guitar shredder has a new album out.’
- ‘Along with a few shredder friends, I saw him perform at a local guitar shop.’
- ‘When the house lights go down this fall, a new generation of axe shredders, drummers and fearless frontmen will come together and rock.’
- ‘An early example of 'shredding', but with a sense of melody that most shredders lack.’
- ‘When Black Mountain evoke shredders of yesteryear such Blue Cheer and Led Zeppelin, their technique falls nearer to Galaxie 500 and the Velvet Underground, who forsook showmanship and dug deep in search of music's fundamental soul.’
- ‘The Massachusetts-based Cave In originated in the mid 1990s as a brutal, dynamic, metal-tinged hardcore band akin to influential shredders like Converge, Coalesce, and Botch.’
3informal A snowboarder.
- ‘During the season, Ski Acres had constructed a big air kicker as a way of enticing snow shredders to their slopes.’
- ‘Upon arriving in Seattle we linked-up with snow shredders B.J. Kaiser and Tim Carlson.’
- ‘When not on the snow, this 16-year-old shredder can be found refining his skating style.’
- ‘It would be a private oasis, a white, fluffy heaven: Valhalla for the true shredders.’
- ‘His bro Kurt's a pro snow shredder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.