Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a garment) resistant to light rain.
- ‘Fitting a host of new features - the powerful microcomputer required for Multi Spot Metering, the LCD viewfinder display mechanism, the dioptric adjustment mechanism, showerproofing material, etc - into the tiny camera body is a challenging task.’
- ‘His peach silk taffeta showerproofed coat or no-nonsense cap - sleeved day dresses in chartreuse shot tweed are about providing elegance not headlines.’
- ‘Also if anyone knows a good way of showerproofing photocopy ink, maybe with hairspray I don't know, i'd be much obliged.’
- ‘This job is for a mate, and will need a showerproofing kit.’
- ‘I noticed the three different mesh files and wondered which of these three mesh files is used for linking to the showerproofed skintones listed above.’
- ‘Top quality showerproofed material is available in over 70 panel colours in any combination.’
- ‘Wildlife Watching Supplies stock a wide range of materials, olive green or camouflage pattern, lightweight, medium and heavy weight, showerproofed polycotton and waterproof nylon.’
- ‘Works a treat - I've showerproofed my Snugpak Sleeka with it (not generally regarded as an external layer) but it works splendiferously!’
- ‘It is the question of showerproofing the other end of this flex where it goes into the towel rail.’
- ‘I do all my coats every so often and its amazing what a difference it makes, I always use the re-proofer after washing them especially on my fleeces and other ‘non’ waterproof things and it does help with showerproofing them.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.